Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Woohoo for internet connection! I'm actually writing this online instead of making a word document and posting it later.


Yesterday I finally got to get started on organizing the pharmacy! We went over to Francisville around 2pm and Junior and I spent about two hours organizing the medications, so that today we can do an inventory check. There is no air conditioning in Francisville and it was HOT yesterday. It's a miracle I could even hold on to the medication bottles I was so sweaty. Junior was a huge help, he's worked in the pharmacy before so he knows what he's doing and he's going to medical school in Haiti starting in September. Pretty cool. Also, he likes Rihanna so we're going to be best friends. He played it on his ipod yesterday while we were working.


Unfortunately, there are some medications that are expired on the shelves. We haven't thrown them out yet because we need to double check with Father Rick how to get rid of them, but it's a bummer. Hopefully we won't have to do that anymore! After organizing the stock in Francisville, we went over to St. Luc Hospital to see the medications that they try and keep in stock there. Once we know for sure our inventory, hopefully we'll be able to do rounds at St. Luc's and keep their cabinets stocked so they don't run out of any medications.


Last night I helped Kenson with his English. We worked out of his TOEFL book which is the English test for foreign exchange students to get into college in the U.S. I was surprised because some of the questions were really hard! Some were obvious because I'm a native English speaker, but trying to explain to him the random rules of English sucked. I feel bad for anyone who has to learn English. For example, how do you explain to someone that you don't say 'furnitures' or 'mails'? While we were working in the little trailer there was an enormous thunderstorm. Rain was pelting the metal roof of the trailer and the thunder was shaking it. It was actually great to fall asleep to.


This morning I did exercises in my Creole books, then went over to FWAL to practice Creole with the kids. I bounced around for a little bit, then ended up in the English class. The teacher had me teach the kids the alphabet and then I had them sing it with me. It's hard to direct the class because some of them are just starting to learn English, but one of the kids I talked to had been taking English for four years. I was impressed with how patient all the students were, I know that American kids would have been going nuts with all the waiting and listening to each person recite their ABC's. After I helped with the ABC's the teacher went over colors with them and then finished the class with a discussion of the quote "be the change you wish to see in the world." I thought Palo, their teacher, did an amazing job with the lesson and the kids are really lucky to have him. He said I can come back every day if I want, and I think I'll take him up on that offer because it really helps me to practice Creole with the kids.


Alright, I'm heading off to Francisville now to work on the inventory. Might need a beer tonight after 5 hours of correcting inventory...

No comments:

Post a Comment