Friday, July 15, 2011

Today Junior and I finished inventory of the medications in the warehouse! We spent probably 12 hours each comparing the old medication list with what was actually there. I still have to update it in the computer system, but we know we don't have to work in the boiling hot warehouse anymore! There still is no electricity hooked up to that warehouse in Francisville and I think the roof just sucks up all the heat from the sun and makes an oven out of the warehouse. All of the medications and supplies only take up about 1/3 of the room, but there is no partition that separates it, so I'm nervous that even when it gets power, it'll waste too much energy to keep the whole thing cool. Yesterday I was able to talk with a previous short-term volunteer who had been here with the Mayo Clinic and set this whole system up. He is a pharmacist, so it's great to have him as a contact if I have questions. I'm hoping to have a meeting with the medical director of the hospital, as well as Wynn and Raphael, to show them a current list of what we have, as well as what is about to expire. I'm excited to start ordering medications (there are many organizations that will donate them to us for free) to stock the hospitals.
<> <>
Junior in our Francisville warehouse
Half of the medication shelves




















Last night we had dinner at Mama Raphael's with Ivy's friend Claudia who is visiting for a couple days. After dinner, we climbed the water tower so that we could sit and talk for a while. It's a big climb... I'm actually sore today... and literally within one minute of getting to the top, it started to rain. Not Seattle rain, Haiti rain which means huge droplets that just pour down on you and get you soaked within seconds. So we climbed down the wet ladder and were completely drenched by the time we got down.
our pediatric hospital, St. Damien's, from the water tower



view of MINUSTAH grounds from the water tower



I'm very upset about missing the Harry Potter premiere last night. I'm trying to get my hands on a bootleg copy asap. Speaking of not being in the US, I realized today that it's been an entire week without wine, TV or chocolate. Surprisingly, I don't miss it but I guess it's only been one week...

No comments:

Post a Comment