Sunday, July 10, 2011

I had a great rest of the day after the FWAL graduation ceremony. I took quite a bit of time for myself because the conference room had internet! I sent some emails and chatted with people who were online, so I’m really, really hoping that I can get internet in there tomorrow as well. I even took a shower, because I didn’t take one last night and then I baked in the sun all day, and I’m sure the glare coming off my sweaty skin was blinding over Skype. Thank god Skype doesn’t share smells because it was no good.

A little later Ivy and I went back to the conference room so that she could show me the computer system that they’re using to manage their pharmaceutical inventory. We brought some of the new French books we had donated and brought some kids from oncology into the conference room with us so that they could read the books while we were working. I’m sure the kids have bad days when the medicine really gets to them, but I have yet to see it. They are big troublemakers and have huge personalities just like any other kids. When you’re interacting with them, you never think about the fact that they have cancer because you’re focused on making sure they behave and enjoying their ramblings. So anyways, about work, the great thing about the computer system is that it’s really simple to use, but the not so great thing is that there is still quite a few glitches and a lot of things you can’t do on the system. But, I was extremely impressed that the entire thing had both English and Creole for any button you click on. I took my aforementioned shower, then had some dinner with Wynn and the other volunteers and we chatted and he was able to tell me a little bit more about the long term vision of the pharmacy and St. Luc and St. Philomene. I really liked hearing about the future plans because it gives me a great idea about what to prioritize and the goals that we’re working towards. I’m excited for my first official day of work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment