Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Oh man these last couple days have been so busy! We have a herd of volunteers here this week and I have been hosting/leading, so it’s really nice to have a quiet evening (probably wishful thinking that I have the whole evening). But I’m making the most of it, curled up in comfy clothes on my bed, listening to Matt Nathanson and enjoying a surprisingly delicious glass of white wine. I didn’t have high hopes for it, considering it was one of the cheapest at the supermarket, but with a little bit of ice to cool it down, it definitely hits the spot.
Volunteers in the kitchen for lunch

I can’t even remember the last time I wrote on my blog, and of course since I’m by myself in my room I don’t have internet to check. But I spent most of the weekend sleeping and watching movies on my computer because I wasn’t feeling good. I know what you’re thinking, but it was just a cold that has been going around with the volunteers! People actually do get colds here, not just malaria and cholera!

On Sunday I went over to Francisville for a bit to drop off some supplies that one of the volunteers brought and on the way back we ran into Father Rick who was taking some of the little boys who hang out outside the hospitals and the UN to get ice cream. I think it’s really an incredible gesture. Father Rick is heading three hospitals, a series of industrial warehouses, building a fourth hospital, providing all religious services to hundreds of people, starting internet cafes and street clinics and schools in the slums, not to mention all the fundraising events all over the world and he finds the time on Sundays to take a group of street kids to get ice cream every week. To me there is something so fundamentally right about that. We (not just NPFS, but every other NGO and the UN) are supposed to be here to improve people’s lives, and yes healthcare is a huge portion of that, but it’s so pure, so innocent and perfect, to give kids who spend all day begging behind a fence something to look forward to on Sundays. And it’s not just Father Rick, but our other long term volunteers who know the people that sell and beg on our streets. They are involved in the children’s lives and trying to help when they can. It’s incredibly selfless and I admire them so much because they never burn out, they keep going and living and don’t lose sight. Sometimes with my American perspective, it’s hard not to be critical of some things, but I have no doubts about the motivation of each long term volunteer here. They are truly incredible people, beyond just being nice and tons of fun to hang out with.

Okay, so on Sunday evening I went to mass. Sunday is the only day that Father Rick does an evening mass because he goes to Kenscoff on Sunday mornings to do mass at St. Helene’s, the NPFS orphanage. Mass was at 7pm, so it was already dark, but there were candles lit in the chapel as well as two on the desk (giving away my lack of religious education with that one… wherever they set the bible and chalice) and one on the floor in front of the body. The mass/ funerals in the morning are very nice and it hasn’t bothered me that it’s a funeral as well, but Sunday night it was very creepy at first before the service started. Although we were on time, the service started late so there was a lot of sitting in silence in the candlelight. It’s funny how the time of day can give you a completely different outlook. The chapel felt dark and depressing, mournful of the patients and for all the suffering in this country. The feeling continued when Father Rick arrived with two of the volunteers who are doctors. They were late because they got a patient who had been in a motorcycle accident and had her arm torn off. The songs were beautiful, as usual, and more in English so it was easier to understand. When people start sitting down after having their wine and bread (ok I really should know that one…) someone usually sings while everyone else finishes. This time Wynn sang, and I had never heard him before, but he is an amazing singer! I was impressed because of course there is no music, just his voice and he was really, really good. After mass, we were planning on going to Mama Raphael’s and the rain almost stopped us, but we decided to go anyways and I’m really glad we did. We were laughing the entire time playing games with the German volunteers who are here. Sergio offered to make us dinner the following night and sangria which I was VERY excited about.

On Monday I had five volunteers, plus Yvenson, helping out at Francisville so we got a TON done! We came back for lunch and even more volunteers had arrived, so we are overflowing with volunteers this week. The volunteers who came on Monday (a DO and PA, think that’s a sign I should ask them for career advice??) brought new dishes and cups for us! Very glad they did, because I don’t think there would have been enough without the new stuff. I’ve noticed that that happens a lot here, things just happen to come right at the exact moment you find yourself needing them. Later, I was very pleased to find out that Sergio came through on his promise, not only for food, but for sangria! He is a great cook and it was a lot of fun to have everyone together eating, drinking and joking around. I’ve been telling everyone that I don’t miss any food from the US yet, but last night I realized I do miss something… garlic. Sergio’s food had lots of garlic and oh man it was good.



This morning I found out that we had two containers coming, so we had a mad dash at the warehouse to clear out a big space to get the new stuff in. It ended up that we didn’t empty the containers until after lunch, but since we worked our butts off early, we were able to totally plan and sort our patient care section. Opening up and clearing out the containers was fun, especially because all of our medical supplies were in pre-sorted and labeled boxes which made our job a million times easier. We worked until after 5pm, so after almost an entire 8 hours of manual labor, we were exhausted. It’s definitely one of those days where I couldn’t imagine anything better than ending it with a cold shower.
All of our pre-sorted medical supplies... so nice!

Unloading the pallets- thanks for your help girls!

Father Rick rearranging containers, a favorite past-time

2 comments:

  1. The Pulpit is what holds the Bible etc. and taking wine and bread is "Communion" with a priest/minister saying "This is the body and blood of Christ." That's where they lost me.
    Good luck with your Creole.
    Love from Grandma Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is the body and blood of Christ." That's where they lost me.

    That's where they GOT me! Hey, is that Matt the CT scanner guy in front?

    ReplyDelete