Thursday, December 1, 2011

weird things that happen in Haiti

As my Dad likes to say, "weird" is a compliment. So here goes. Some of this stuff occurs on a regular basis, and others have only happened once... but they were memorable enough to put here. I'll let you guess which is which :)
  • taking a shower out of a bucket
  • a rat in the warehouse drinking an entire bottle of ciprofloxacin for injection
  • taking half hour motorcycle rides to get to and from the store
  • rearranging gauze for 6 hours
  • evening chats about how Bill Clinton's assistant and celebrities are coming to visit tomorrow
  • carrying dead bodies before I've had my coffee
  • eating, well in my case watching other's eat, the goat that was running around at work earlier that day
  • listening to the call to prayer in Arabic at 4am
  • sharing a water bottle with a kid and later finding out he has TB
  • turning to hear who is calling "cherie" (my dear) to me and having a nice little chat with a man carrying an enormous machete and no teeth
  • seeing a Lexus SUV and BMW convertible at the grocery store and having a really good time trying to guess which people those cars belong to
  • getting my $20 bill rejected because it has a pen mark on it
  • driving a forklift
  • drinking beer at church
  • needing to have at least three items you want from a menu, because they might not have what you want
  • getting a new assortment of cereals each time you go to the grocery store
  • watching all the food stands of the women who sit outside the hospital being burned in the middle of our street in an enormous bonfire
  • keeping cholera tests in my living room
  • learning Italian
  • sorting through neuro and open-heart surgery kits to get to the alcohol pads and ibuprofen
Alright, that’s my list for now. I know I’m forgetting tons… I’ll post this list again in a couple months.

1 comment:

  1. Dani, Some of those weird things made me smile, and others cause me to miss Haiti. The first few weeks I was back (in the US) it seemed weird that the kind of things on your list were so unlikely here. For example, knowing that when I go to daily mass now, there is only about a zero percent chance that there will be dead bodies on the floor is just starting to feel normal. Greetings to everyone there. You are all frequently in my thoughts and prayers. Take care,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete