Saturday, December 10, 2011

long week, with an interesting ending

This week was stressful. Miscommunications, misunderstandings, new responsibilities, changing procedure and a heap of short term volunteers made this week absolutely exhausting. Not to mention it's still as hot and dusty as ever. The thing about being here for a year is that the big stuff, the important stuff, is so meaningful and so rewarding that it makes living here fun and exciting and everything I hoped it would be. It's the little stuff, the things that really aren't important in the big picture, that are tough to deal with.

And since I've been here for five months, I'm about to go home in a week, that little stuff is driving me nuts. Like last Saturday... it was Family Day at FWAL and all I wanted to do was go over and play with the kids who's families don't come. But of course I got a phone call that I had to go to the warehouse before I went over. So I go to meet the driver at the hospital, and we have to make a pit stop... at the morgue. So they load the body into the back of the pickup and we head to the refridgerated containers we use as the morgue. (I swear, Haiti could use a container for ANYthing.) Then we go to the warehouse and of course the Cholera Treatment Center needs a bunch of materials they forgot to ask for the day before. Then we go drop everything off... and on and on and on.

The point of all of this was that yesterday, I was VERY excited that it was Friday. I had lots of coffee and no breakfast which is not the best combination. I walked outside to fill up my waterbottle for work and ran into KIM KARDASHIAN. I totally freaked out. I came back to my house, literally running, to tell Bridget that Kim Kardashian was outside. I'm totally embarassed by how completely ridiculous I was. By the time I had calmed down enough to go back outside, they had already left for their tour. She (and the rest of the celebrities that were here) were only here for the morning, before they went to another organization, and left Haiti later that day. I have to say I'm very impressed that she came to Haiti and even used our Port-a-Potty bathrooms (which are made out of... you guessed it, a container!)

No comments:

Post a Comment