Saturday, October 8, 2011

rose & thorn moments

I once heard that the Obama's have a dinner-time tradition of talking about their rose moment and thorn moment of the day. So here's how my week went, Obama style:

Thorn Moment

Without a doubt, the worst thorn moment was learning that in addition to the 12 abandoned kids we have in the 'official abandoned' room, there are 9 others throughout the hospital. 21 children abandoned at St. Damien. And now, 3 kids abandoned at the St. Philomene Cholera Center. 24 children, in our care, waiting... to at best be placed in well-financed orphanage. I also learned that two of our children have been with us for over a year, still waiting to be placed. All of our homes are full and apparently everyone else's are too.

Rose Moments
  • FREE BLACKBERRY! Move to a third world country and get a free smart phone...thanks, Voila!
  • Meeting Peter and Lucson who are in the melon room. They want to learn English, so I did two English lessons with them this week. They want to learn so badly and are so cute because I can tell they practiced after their first lesson and had tons of words to ask me how to say when I went the second time. It's been great practice for my Creole as well.
  • Getting two big shipments of medications! The shelves are finally stocked and I am SO happy that I can tell the pharmacies, "YES we have that!"
  • Helping a friend fill out his paperwork to go to the US for the first time
  • Yvens showing off the new trick he learned- waving- to every person we pass by in the hospital
Lubin & I on the St. Damien balcony

No comments:

Post a Comment