Saturday, October 15, 2011

bye, bye Yvens

Exactly one week ago I wrote about how the hardest moment of the week was learning about all of our abandoned children and that they have no place to go. Today, without a doubt my hardest moment was when I walked into the abandoned room and Yvens was gone. He was accepted into an orphanage and will thankfully be living in a home with other children and (I hope, hope, hope) be provided with all the love and support he needs to grow into a happy, healthy child. I'm glad that he will no longer be sitting in a crib for endless hours a day, but I'm sad that I didn't get to say goodbye or even found out the name of the place he went to. I know that he has an amazingly strong spirit and will easily find his way into the hearts of the caretakers at his new home. But I'm definitely going to miss seeing his happy, smiling face going up into abandoned every day.


In other good news (why yes, I am trying to convince myself that it's good news that Yvens is gone) previously-mentioned possible security situation for today is no longer a worry. Aristide was on TV today, sitting with Martelly right by his side. Last night when we heard two rounds of 20+ gunshots, we were a little worried... but today there was humpty-dumpty and his little gremlin friend posing for the cameras like good, peaceful politicians.

More good things... my Dad is in Haiti for the week, so I'm excited to see him. My friend David is coming to visit the following week! The Huskies won today. My weird stomach thing seems to be getting better (and I didn't have to poop in a cup... haha Kevin!!!) Had a fabulous dinner at Operation Blessing tonight. Heard lots of great stories about 'back-in-the-day' at NPFS from all the seasoned volunteers who are here for the grand opening of St. Philomene, including Sister Philomena herself, for whom the hospital is named. We're having a big mass and celebration tomorrow, so I'll post about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment