Sunday, August 7, 2011

As of yesterday, I have been living in Haiti for one month! I can't believe it, it's gone by so fast. I'm still learning new things about the organization every day, beginning new friendships and exploring outside the walls of our (huge) compound. I like to think I've learned some things in my month here, so I'll try my best to summarize...


Speaking multiple languages is truly the most useful talent in the world. To be able to talk with everyone and translate gives you access to everything that's going on. It also gives you control of information... what you tell to which people. Very powerful. And great motivation for me to keep working on my Creole.


In the US, a little country like Haiti seems a million miles away. In Haiti, the US is everywhere. Almost all electronics, food, medicine, clothing comes from the US. Political decisions in the US can effect the lives of people here. There is an enormous international presence with all the NGO's that are here, but by far the US is the most represented.


Hospitals, poverty and suffering are not tourist attractions. To have a someone show you around to all the human suffering is cruel if you can't do anything about it. The people who know the ins and outs of the hospitals are the ones that are working the hardest to improve conditions. They have a very strong personal connection to a large number of the people we serve. I can understand the Haitian's dislike for cameras because people want to document their hardship, but don't give something in return. Coming to visit friends or family is very different though. In that case, the employee or volunteer is choosing to take some time for themselves to share their experiences with the people their close to.


When it's difficult to accomplish anything, you appreciate everything. Doesn't really require an explanation...


A child's naivite is truly a gift in such a hard world. Watching an abandoned child 'make believe' phone calls to her mother with the same exuberance as a child who's mother just went to work for the day is absolutely heartbreaking. But the child is happy because every morning she believes today is the day her mother is coming back for her. In time it will leave scars, as she loses her naivite and begins to make harsh realizations, but at least for today she is very happy. It sounds cruel when we know what she will eventually deal with, but it is such a blessing to spend hours playing with her and sharing her laughter and joy. I don't know that being abandoned is something you can ever completely deal with, but it is comforting to see our home raising these children into happy, successful people.


I really took for granted all the equality and opportunities I have been given. I was always appreciative that I went to a college-prep school, that I could play sports and get a job, that I was able to attend university, but never like this. There are so many people here, guys and girls, who are smart and hard-working and want great things for their life, but only able to take themselves so far. Things that you can work hard for in the US, like going to college, getting a job, or buying a house, may not be attainable for some friends I've made here. I am happy to be a part of this organization because it provides great career opportunities for our young adults, but there are so many other people who grew up outside the organization and don't have the same options. In Haiti there are no scholarships, unemployment is rampant, and even if you can save enough money to buy land, you may not get ownership because multiple people have a claim on it. We all know that these are common problems in Haiti, but it is SO different when it is your friend or coworker. I can't even imagine what limited access to clean water, food and healthcare is like on such a personal level.


This post is different from the others because it is a general summary of my time here. I haven't been including personal stories from people's lives out of respect for their privacy. Despite how depressing this sounds, I enjoy every day here and am so thankful for this experience. The people here, both Haitians and volunteers, make my time here incredibly fulfilling and worthwhile and I can't wait to see what this next month will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment