Wednesday, September 21, 2011

AHHHHHHHH


I had just opened my internet when I look up and there is a gigantic spider crawling on my wall. Not like any kind of Washington or California spider, I'm talking Caribbean monster spider. Ivy tried to take it down with some raid, but the spider was unfazed. I ran over to Joanne, Bridget and Kathleen's for backup and as we were all running back over, we hear Ivy pounding the wall. We all get inside and the spider had been trying to crawl up the wall, so Ivy pounded on the wall to shake the spider back down. I have never been so thankful for flimsy walls. After everyone came in and we determined that it wasn't a tarantula (ya, it was that big... just without the hairy legs) Joanne got it in some toilet paper and threw it outside.


Now I am back sitting in my room... terrified. A mosquito just flew by me and I had a total spazz out. Not cool Haiti.


Anways, what I was going to write about before the spider invasion.... barely seems relevant anymore. Okay well we have an American surgical team here doing cleft lip surgeries at St. Damien. Cleft lip surgeries are good because they require minimum follow up and there is a much lower chance of complications, which is good because the team only has a short amount of time here. Anyways, in traditional American-hospital fashion, they've been bringing the kids in and out of surgery in their beds. Well, you should have heard the kids in oncology talking about this! They had been watching people coming and going from sal balon (the balloon room) all day and they could not believe the kids were in the beds! Normally, moms carry their children through the hospital here, so it was a big deal that these kids were getting pushed around on their beds. So funny what entertains these kids. I guess it makes sense cause the kids in oncology are just sitting around all day and there's only so much they can do to entertain themselves.


After I hung out in oncology, I went over to see the babies. We did some walks around and I even got out the tricycle for Marco to ride. I think he needs one more day of practicing on it and then he'll be good to do trike rides around the hospital along with walks. Also, Yvens knows how to wave! Yesterday, he sort of did a tiny little wave to one of the many people who stopped us in the hallway, but today he was doing it back to everyone. He still needs a lot of prompting, but I think within no time he'll have it down.


Tomorrow we're getting a huge medication shipment and hopefully picking up some drugs we purchased... should be an eventful day!


Quotes-


Cabrito: "Don't booze and block"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dani,
    I met your mom at the reception in Seattle last Sunday for Fr Rick. It was great to see him and hear about St Damien and to meet your mom and many others. Please say hi to Ivy from Colleen, dreadlocked midwife from last summer. I was only there 2 weeks, but will return someday for longer. FB me at https://www.facebook.com/mydwyfecolleendb and see my haiti pics for those you recognize. If it is ok with you, I would like to link your blog to my pages, whaddya say?

    Keep up the good work! Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen,

    Ivy says hi too! Glad you got to meet my mom and keep up with everything going on here. You can definitely link my to my blog! Thanks for putting it out there. Let me know if you'll make it back down within the next year!

    Take care,
    Dani

    ReplyDelete